Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Broken Window Theory

I, Chris, have been reading "The Tipping Point" by Malcom Gladwell for the last month. It's a book about epidemics; how to start them; key aspects to epidemics; and so on and so forth. I remember my dad reading it a long time ago and I found it at a garage sale this summer for 10¢. It has been a good read and I would recommend the book. The end is a little slower but the first 3/4 of the book is awesome. Get the paperback copy with the "Afterward" in it. 

In the book it talks about "The Broken Window Theory". In a nut shell the theory is: if there is a broken window that goes unrepaired for a time (or if there is garbage laying around or graffiti on walls or an area is generally unkept) it encourages more crime because people assume no one cares about the place and therefore it's less likely they'll get caught or confronted if they commit a crime there. For instance, a broken window might encourage someone to break another window; which leads to someone breaking into the place; which leads to graffiti; which leads to more damage; which leads to squatters; which leads to drugs; etc, etc. Basically, a broken window unfixed can, eventually, be the cause of a whole neighbourhood becoming a "bad area to live in".   

We have been trying to conquer some of the issues in the school and it has been very frustrating but we are learning that it's about us trying to model good behaviors and teaching this crazy idea called "RESPECT".  Respect for the school. Respect for the teachers. Respect for the other kids. Respect. It is a great school but like all great things there can also be improvements. Servants Heart Ministries and the director of the school are committed to make those improvements happen through the "little" things like picking up the garbage around the lot and not drawing on desks, walls, tables, chairs, etc. We are trying to stop the broken window theory from playing out at the outset.  Little by little we are trying to make a difference. 

NEW NEWS!!! The couple that have been down here since late September and have been teaching an English class (mixed with teenagers and adults) are leaving for Canada as of tomorrow and the students still want to continue learning english.  So, starting tomorrow I, now Keeleah, will be taking over the English class which meets Tuesday and Thursday's from 2:30-4pm.  My teaching career has advanced... lol!  I have no idea, really, what I am doing except that I do know how to speak English.  I am sure it will be fun and interesting. 

I have also taken on a counseling role for three additional students (plus our sponsor girl). I will be meeting with them each on a weekly basis to discus how life is going and to give them a chance to talk about what is troubling them or what they are trying to change in their lives. Although I work solely with adults in Canada for my job the experience there has helped me be a better listener here. That's all these kids need. Someone to listen and give some extra encouragement. I am hoping to make a big difference in the lives of the kids.  

ps. We are back in Canada on TUESDAY !!! (for a week) crazy :)

No comments: