Monday, October 03, 2011

Survival

 The prostitution rate per capita in the Dominican Republic is considered very high. The Dominican Republic is statistically the 4th largest exporter of prostitutes in the world behind Brazil, Thailand and the Philippines. Sosua, where we are living, is the biggest area in Puerto Plata for prostitution. For those that come here and just stay on the resort, you would never know. If you travel around at night you will soon notice the bars full of women and "single" men (and, unfortunately, Canadian men are now the most plentiful).

I am saying all of this because I have recently been talking with some people down here about it..... and I have been thinking a lot.  Everyone has their own thoughts when you hear the word "prostitution" or the more politically correct words "sex trade" and I do believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I have my own strong opinion on this topic. My opinion has been formed through my background in social work, through conversations with clients I have worked with over the years and through women I have spoken with in the Dominican including some sex trade workers themselves. I am not going to list the common thoughts on the subject.... because I think they are pretty obvious. I am also not going to say some of those thoughts aren't true for some women and the "trade" is the same here as it is in Canada but I can tell you through my conversations with some women here the typical thoughts about prostitution aren't true in a lot of situations. For a lot of women here it's a matter of their survival... and (more importantly) the survival of their children. What do you do?:  you kid's dad is not in the picture anymore (as is a common case).... you can't find a job.... because you can't read or write... because you only have the common average 6th or 7th grade Dominican education.... you have no money.... the government doesn't offer help..... you have no family that can help.... and you and your children are hungry... not the kind of hunger that missing a meal creates but a hunger that could literally take your child's life right in front of you?? I look at my sweet little girl and I don't know what I would, or would not, do to provide for her.

I am blessed with endless opportunities and open options for my life. As a woman, that is an amazing feeling but for some women it's not the case. It's the difference of being born in a different geographic area or to the right family it has nothing to do with worth or me being better. How easy it is to judge when we have not been in the shoes (or lack thereof) of someone else.

No comments: