Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Working it out


        Life is starting to feel a little more normal now after a week and a half. When we first got here it almost seemed like it wasn’t going to be hard to adjust. I think that was mostly because I was so excited and had some adrenalin pumping.  Within a couple days my mind actually realized where we were and how long we were here for... I might have freaked out a little bit. I may or may not have said a couple of times I wanted to go home.  After saying that I felt guilty...... I was going through a mixture of emotions.  Chris was really good about calming his “crazy” wife.  I just had this sense of “what did we do!?!?”.  I am kind of a go getter, get things done, fast pace, jump right into things kind of person.  So when I didn’t feel like I was accomplishing something right off the bat it freaked me out. Normally when we come it’s only for a week and it’s usually a jam packed week of doing many different things. It’s been hard to realize being a part of people’s regular lives and regular work days is and will be much different. One thing I really love about the Dominican Republic is the easy going personalities and lifestyles. So I have now decided to embrace that way of life as well. I was just speaking with Franklin (our translator and friend) today about some of the difference between here and Canada.  One big difference I am noticing is a difference in anger. There seems to be so many stressed out and angry people back home.  That doesn’t really seem to be an issue here and it’s refreshing. As an example... driving here is nuts. The rules are “flexible” and it’s kind of scary. People will pass you on the right or left even if there is no lane to pass. So we got cut off today while driving pretty bad today and Franklin just put on his brakes and kept driving. I then said this is how that would have played out at home “what the Eff, watch where you’re going you moron” HONK-HONK-HOOOOOONNNNNKKKK. We all laughed....but it’s so true. Road rage is ramped at home and I am (unfortunately, hard to admit) one of those people but not I think I can truly say I have adjusted well and I’m really enjoying my time here.

On the mom front, Abriel is doing pretty good.  She seems to be learning new things every day. She is crawling around and pulling herself up on anything she can. It’s been a little challenging since we can’t take our eyes off her for a second.  I have had a couple moments of worry because of her getting a few mosquito bites and a heat rash but so far everything has worked out.  She has been enjoying some new foods and loving the attention from everyone here. I feel like a part of the mom’s club here. People have been so inviting to me when they see me with Abriel. It’s nice when you have common ground.  Being a mom is being a mom no matter what country you are in. I have still been breast feeding (even though Abriel has 7 teeth now), which people find very fascinating here. People like to come over and check out how I do it and what my boob looks like. It’s okay though I have become very comfortable and open about it. I am actually thinking about doing a breastfeeding clinic while we are here.


Thanks again for everyone’s love and support, it’s needed and appreciated.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Sounds like you have plenty of reason to feel uneasy. Don't feel guilty about your thoughts. Anyone would feel the same. I can't imagine the change of culture, lifestyle, everything. Praying for you all. xoxo. Cass