Friday, June 10, 2011

Mentor

I am just going to throw this out there.... Chris and I do not own a t.v. (gasp!). I know it's kind of weird but with all the crap on t.v, we just don't need it. We do watch our favourite shows on the internet; and we aren't anti t.v we do watch it when we are at other people's houses.  We aren't that weird. lol. Sometimes, I will turn to Much Music (gasp again!) for music while "I am up in the gym just working on my fitness" but it normally ends with me changing the channel because I am disgusted by what I see. We wonder why people are becoming increasingly messed up, why teens are disrespectful, sleeping around and doing a bunch of other stupid things.  Some of those music videos are some of the most distasteful things I have ever seen and these are the people our youth look up to..... really?? I just heard yesterday about a Hamilton Tigercat (a CFL football player for those of you that are not from around here) getting caught with weed and steroids.  This isn't the first time a pro sports player has been caught with drugs and it won't be the last.  These are the kinds of people kids want to grow up to be (pro athletes, movie stars, music artists, etc). Why?? We allow them to watch these things, buy those products, make these people more money then we are surprised when they act out.... is it not our own fault for failing to provide them with good and trustworthy mentors?  Yes, I know there are good artists and athletic stars but how often to we hear about them or see them doing good?? Even if we do, it's mixed, many times, with something sketchy or for a selfish promotion.

I have been a youth leader for 8 years (which is crazy!). I have met a lot of teenagers, heard a lot of stories, seen a lot of youth make mistakes but I have also seen some that make me proud and do inspiring things. I have also met a lot of youth leaders with different skills, talents and personalities.  I got to hang out with one of my favourite youth leaders, Monica Selders, today.  She was first one of my youth leaders, then a co youth leader and now a friend.  Even though I don't see her very often I always enjoy seeing her. She was (and still is) the type of youth leader I have always aspired to be. She is someone trustworthy people can and should look up to. A real kind, smart, godly and giving woman. She has given a lot of her time speaking into young woman's lives.  There are a lot of people who can atest to that. My hope for my daughter is that there will be a "Monica" in her life. I also want to be a "Monica" in other people lives. We need to stop complaining about the youth of now and start helping.  We need to be willing to give of our time, look out for them in our communities, stop encouraging them to put junk into their lives.  They need us and we need them.  We need to learn from each other. There is such potential for greatness!!!
Monica and I

No comments: