Thursday, June 02, 2011

Something Old...

My Grandparents, Ray and Rita Edwards, got married 70 years ago yesterday. In case you missed that, they got married 70 years ago. Some people don't make it to 70 years old never mind 70 years married. We had a big party for them with all their friends and family including 4 of their kids, 16 of their grandchildren, and 17 of their great-grandchildren (Abriel is number 17!). It's always great to see the whole family.

Being married for that long is an extremely rare phenomenon in today's society where marriage unfortunately has become either "unnecessary" or taken as something that doesn't really mean what we say it means. This isn't going to turn into a bashing of people who have been divorced but rather an encouragement to those who have stuck it out in the hard times (and the REALLY hard times) and have come out - together - stronger on the other side as well as a "you can do it" to those who are considering marriage. Keeleah and I have been married for five years (on June 3rd) and I can tell you that even five years takes work. There have been a few hard times and frustrating times and angry times and yelling times. But there have also been many easy times and laughing times and loving times and more laughing times and being completely sure of the reasons we got into this in the first place times. I love my wife more and more every year and she keeps making it easier to do but love, the love mentioned in our traditional wedding vows, is not a "if everything is going well" kind of love but more a "whatever it takes" kind of love. When you say "in good times and bad" it doesn't leave a lot of room for escape. I would challenge you, if you are in a relationship, stick with it. Try your hardest to work it out. Try and beat my grandparents in years married:)

I love my grandparents very much and the stories they tell of "the early days" are hilarious and heart warming and the stories from recent days are not much different. They have a friendship that can't be matched and a love that won't quit. They have each other and they like it that way. If we are alive in another 65 years I hope I'm with Keeleah, surrounded by friends and family who look up to the relationship we have as something to aspire to.

Happy 70th Anniversary Grandma & Grandpa! We love you very much!

Chris and Keeleah (and Abriel)


ps - my brother, Scott, sang a song that means a lot to my grandparents. I don't think it's quite how they remember it...


1 comment:

Kelly said...

HAHAHA! I was NOT expecting that from Scotty!! Too funnny! Happy Anniversary to your grandparents and to you! So glad I got to be a special part of your day, 5 years ago, and hopefully I will still be kickin' it on your 65th!! Love you guys! xo