Friday, June 03, 2011

True Love

I have had a few discussion with people over the years weather or not love just happens or if it's a choice. Many people want to find "true love", their "other half", the person who will complete them. All those things sound so romantic and kinda scary especially if you can't seem to find yours. My concept of love is not as romantic as those sayings but I think it's part of a successful relationship/marriage.

When I first met Chris he was 23 years old working at the Canadian Tire gas bar, living at home, wearing the same outfit and hat everyday, wore a backpack everywhere, and drove the most broken down car ever. I was 19 turning 20 in 6 months just graduated from college, working two jobs, living at home and driving my parents mini van (sweet!).  I am sure in those days we thought our lives were all figured out.... haha. I met Chris personally for the first time at a restaurant with a bunch of young adults. He was talking with one of my friends making plans to go biking and I was invited to come (okay.... they didn't invite me. I invited myself).  Chris seemed like a nice guy... a little on the short side but very nice. I had no thought in my mind about "liking" him.  I showed up the next day with my roller blades and there was Chris and no one else.  The other person had to work and couldn't come.... oh man, awkward. We biked and roller bladed and just talked, and talked and talked. I think I learned more about Chris in that short time than I have with anyone. We decided to do the same thing again the next day....and we hung out every single day after that for the whole summer. As I got to know Chris it wasn't about his car or job or clothes. It was about his ideas, his heart, his passion to help others, his unselfishness and amazing honesty. I came to love Chris as a person as a great human being and an amazing friend.  Once I realized those things I then noticed his beautiful blue eyes, cute butt and a very sexy neck! (I know weird). As most of you know I am not a shy person... so I laid it out there for Chris "I like you more than a friend, do you like me?".  His response was very awkward and worried me since he didn't seem to be "feeling it". He then told me that he didn't want to screw this up and wanted to stay friends for a couple months first. We both agreed we didn't want to date just for the sake of it but we wanted to date the person we were going to marry. We lasted 2 months and Chris asked me to be his girlfriend.  We hugged and held hands for the first time July 2nd 2005 - sidenote: I cried... haha -. We said we would wait to kiss for a couple months, I think we lasted 4 days.... We were engaged January 2nd 2006 and married June 3rd 2006.  It was a quick process because it naturally progressed that way. As some people would say Chris is a "keeper", when you find a man like Chris Edwards there is no hesitation, no reason to wait.  I don't regret my decision at all.  Which brings me to my concept of love.  If I expected Chris to "fulfill me", "complete me", or "make me whole"  we would be divorced already or would be in the future.  Chris Edwards was easy to fall in love with because he carries many, many, many qualities I was looking for in a husband  but to stay in love with someone is a choice. You choose to marry someone and to love them daily.  Are we a good fit together? Yes! That makes the choosing easier. This doesn't work in all cases, (if one partner is being abusive in any way that is not good and you should get out or get help) but when marriage gets tough we need to remind ourselves of the vows we chose to say and the reason we chose that person.  Don't put the expectation of someone else "completing" you on them, it's unrealistic.  Choose to serve and love that person, choose to try and work it out. Communication is the key and I am so thankful that Chris is better at it then me. Five years ago today I married a pretty amazing man and we have since made a beautiful daughter.  I pretty happy about that!



I love you Raymond Christopher Edwards!!! I plan on loving you forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I won't lie.. I teared up a little when I read this. I love that you love my brother.. and I'm happy that you chose to join us crazy Edwards'. Love you Keeleah! - Carrie